Why Engage Kids with Learning to Code
- understanding code helps explain the world
- learning to code develops problem solving and computational thinking skills
- coding is FUN!
- linking coding applications to the BC curriculum and the Core Competencies
- guide on computational thinking- way of thinking of how the world works using the logic of code
- Hour of Code
- one hour tutorials for lesson plans
- allows students to code small interactive stories, games and animations and share with others in the online community
- developed with the idea that it could be used in education from the start of its inceptions so there are many resources
- a simple tool for creating web apps and a friendly, creative community of coders
- Computer Science Unplugged
- teaching computer science without a computer
I looked at CodeMonkey, which is designed for preschoolers to introduce to coding. It was really fun and a great introduction to sequencing without requiring students to have language- they just need to understand what arrows mean.
see https://bit.ly/336Code for more app options.